Compliance

EU compliance required text: "This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and to analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse." Visiting this site implies consent with EU cookie laws.

Rink

Ice skating at Ingólfstorg in the heart of Reykajvík

I took this photo today before this evening's storm hit. I'm wondering how the skating was when the wind picked up and started slamming wet snow all about...I'm sure there were at least a few hearty souls braving the weather to get in a few minutes on the ice. There's always one or two.

A local insurance company is sponsoring this rink at Ingólfstorg plaza downtown. It's a great idea. The plaza is generally considered a metropolitan design disaster. It was intended as a gathering place for locals in the heart of the oldest part of Reykjavik, somewhere where you can rest your feet and chat with friends and such. The square is depressed a few feet from ground level and lined with benches, but nobody ever sits on them. It's become a skateboarders paradise, with short ramps, steps and rails to slide. No one dares walk through it for fear of getting a board in the head (the skaters aren't very good!) and aside from the occasional rally or concert, this is the best use its been put to in years.

4 comments:

dnater said...

Hey Maria! When we were visiting Iceland in August we spent an hour or so in that square watching the skaters. Our 4 year old son kept running in front of the skaters while they were doing tricks. One of the guys my son nearly took out looked at me and said 'It's like Frogger, eh' I think it was this guy:

http://new.thebackrow.net/~dnater/skate/M-IMG_6653.JPG

Iceland Eyes said...

Amazing shot of the skater. And I take it back...he looks like he's pretty good. Of course we don't know if he landed his ollie or whatever based on this shot but I have to say I'm impressed. Oh, and very glad Jakob the (4 year old) survived the skaters, and vice versa!

marine_explorer said...

A local insurance company is sponsoring this rink...
...which perhaps explains all the helmets? I know I could've used a helmet the first time on the ice.

Iceland Eyes said...

You're right on the money about the helmets...they're not required, but are encouraged and made available by the sponsor. How did I survive childhood without a helmet ??? I guess we just learned how not to fall down!